Vegetarian lasagna is more than a usual vegetarian recipe as it is a hearty, satisfying Italian classic. Vegetarian lasagna is no different from another lasagna except for the fact that you get to replace meat with lots of veggies in the sauce. Making a vegetarian lasagna is easy, simply by following some of the following steps, not forgetting the inclusion of the key ingredients.
- 450g of lasagna noodles
- One medium onion, peeled and chopped
- Fresh or frozen veggies
- 770ml jars of pasta sauce or crushed tomatoes
- One teaspoon of seasoning
- One teaspoon of salt
- 430g of ricotta cheese
- Two eggs
- 450g of shredded mozzarella cheese
- Olive oil or non-stick cooking spray
- Boil lasagna noodles for ten minutes. Put water in a large pot and when it begins to boil, add lasagna noodles. When the ten minutes are up put on oven mitts and pour the lasagna noodles into a colander in your sink to drain. Chop about 0.91kg of veggies small pieces. It’s crucial at this step to make sure that your vegetables are clean before chopping them into small pieces. If there are veggies such as carrots that need peeling, ensure you peel them before you cut.
- Pour about one teaspoon olive oil in a skillet placed on medium-high heat. Tilt the pan to ensure distribution of oil all over the surface. Add onions and stir for about five minutes till it looks translucent. Avoid burning of the onions. Add some of the remaining veggies to the pan and stir. Cook them while still stirring for about ten minutes till they are tender and fully cooked. When fully cooked, add one teaspoon of seasoning (Italian) plus one teaspoon of salt. Ensure you keep on stirring for uniform cooking.
- Add the jars of pasta sauce or canned tomatoes to the veggie mixture and bring the sauce to simmer. Continue to simmer the sauce on a low, medium heat uncovered for fifteen minutes, stirring occasionally. This where you assemble your lasagna as you prepare your oven. Make sure to preheat your oven to 177 degrees Celsius and then start assembling the lasagna. In a fairly big bowl mix the ricotta with two eggs and 450g of mozzarella cheese. Then spray your pan evenly with non-stick cooking spray to coat it and then add 110g of the veggies and sauce just to the bottom of the pan. To avoid your vegetables sticking, one can use a layer of parchment paper on the bottom of the pan.
- Now cover your sauce with as many noodles as you can fit in the pan. Ensure that the noodles are overlapping slightly and covering the bottom of the pan completely. Then cover the noodles with a thick layer of the ricotta mixture. Finally, spread the sauce and veggies around in an even layer. You can repeat the layering of the noodles, ricotta and gravy and vegetables several times. When the oven is ready, it is time to place your lasagna into the oven uncovered. Set the time so that you will be sure when to check your lasagna. After about forty minutes, the vegetarian lasagna will be ready. Let it now cool for about ten to fifteen minutes, and it is ready to serve.
To save on time, one can choose to use pre-cut fresh or frozen veggies such as the frozen green beans, corn, or a roasted veggie mix. You can still opt for no-boil lasagna noodles while allowing you to skip the pasta cooking step. You can use different flavors such as alfredo sauce to make white lasagna. When selecting veggies, choose veggies that go well together, such as eggplants, peppers, and spinach.